Re: [BRHSlist] Re: "Herewith enclosed please find . . . "

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: "Herewith enclosed please find . . . "
From: Don Ross <don0731@g...>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 22:49:13 -0600
In 1951 I was promoted from yard clerk to a clerk position in the Traffic Department for the Milwaukee Road at Milwaukee. This would be the first step towards a sales position. After about 4 or 5 months I left for the C&NW as a telegrapher. I could not see myself in sales, but it was due to the environment. We had one guy who would have been great on the street, but he had a moustache. All sales people were required to wear hats, dark suits, plain dark ties, white shirts. The chief clerk wore black sleeve protectors. Eight years later I went into sales with Universal Carloading and then later with Railway Express and ended my rail service here in Dallas as Asst Regional Marketing Manager. I then continued in sales in air freight, later in retail, and I'm still selling, now in e-commerce. I just couldn't do the 1920s thing.