Re: [BRHSlist] Beaconsfield notables

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Beaconsfield notables
From: LaVerne Andreessen <LWAndreessen@f...>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:39:21 -0600

pitschni wrote:

In those early years, company offices were located in Lamoni, IA. The
company moved to Chariton, IA in 1945 to gain access to rail
services, and in 1948 constructed the first office/warehouse complex.
The corporate offices moved to West Des Moines in 1995.

One of my former students retired a few years ago as Hy-V corporate treasurer. When the main offices were in Chariton, a colleague and I visited him and were given a tour of the warehouse. Interesting operation. At the time, I recall they were in the process of eliminating the use of rail for deliveries, and were going to use trucks for everything? Tell me it did not happen!!

I recall visiting Chariton with Dr. Phil Hastings ca. 1980 and the BN had a small switch engine tied up in town. Was that regularly assigned to Chariton? Or a fluke? Or??

LWA