Re: [BRHSlist] Re: BRT? Educate me!

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: BRT? Educate me!
From: "William Franckey" <budapest@g...>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 09:50:02 -0600
Bill,

Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen fits nice with those letters and I have
another Galesburg photo roughly about the same time. The locomotive is also
displaying BRT with some illegible printing. The problem is that these are
probably switch engines at the old yard at Cedar Street close to the
transfer. The one thing that was happening about this time is closing of
the old yard and the rush to move operations to the new gravity humps south
of Galesburg. It seemed to me that there was some interest taken by the
railroad men and the City of Galesburg that the problems associated with the
noisy operations were disappearing out of the city limits.

Also another problem is that the big strike of 1877 and the Great Q Strike
of 1888 was still fresh in everyones mind and even though the switchmen
showed some support for the Brotherhood of the Footboard, it doesn't seem
likely that the locomotives assigned to enginemen would be running around
proclaiming notable designations for trainmen. Remember things were not
well at all and the Shopmens Strike was yet to come but of course there is
always another way of looking at this. I wish the photo I have was a little
clearer as there is only so much Photoshop can do.............Bill