Hogging

To: Brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Hogging
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 00:41:01 EST
The telling of the hogging agreement brought back memories(of course): the
all time champ at hogging to my knowledge was Ollie Olsen(SP?). He was a
brkmn on 11811/11812(Cicero to Streator and return) 7 days a week 365 days a
year. This job went to work right around midnight in Cicero(11:59 or 12:01
just cant remember which). Now each day by literally running the crew could
make the turn at Streator at get back in Hy(Cicero) just ahead of the bulk of
the dinky parade. Often times they didnt and "died" at Aurora or Eola. But
anyway if they did make it to Hy they were done in soemthing like 10 or 11
hours and rested to work the last dinkies that night on duty at Aurora at
6:50 pm. Ollie routinely managed to get called to protect this last set of
dinkies and thereby get paid for the min day on the street cars and the round
trip Hy to Streator along with the arbs for doubling hills,etc that the job
routinely collected. Better than robbing a bank and much safer. Plus he got
to sleep in his own bed instead of rumbling along the O.O. &F.R. R.R. in the
wee hours.
Leo
ollie later was promoted to mgmt and if memory is correct the last I knew he
was Asst Supt of a Div out west. Shades of C.J. Miller!