1949

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: 1949
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 00:29:53 EST
1949 for was an awesome year for the brotherhoods(at least on the Aurora
div).In that year a new local agreement was signed that clarified/stipulated
the 100 miles and 25 mile double language.all language about work trains and
handling revenue frt cars before.after and during the tour of duty as a work
train,doubling hills language and probably most important to any of us who
ever worked regularly assigned passenger,what was affectionately called the
hogging rule.
No it didnt have anything to do w/hogs or the passengers but.... it made you
a ton of money if you happened to be in the right place at the right time and
answered the phone!
I will truncate the verbage but in essence it says a regularly assigned
passenger trainman used off his regular assingment is entitled to the pay for
that regular job and whatever the job he works earns too!
here's an example: I am working a dinky that goes on duty at Aurora at 10:00
a.m. daily making two round trips to CUS. For reasons know to mgmt they
advertise all suburban jobs at the start of the new year due to schedule
change.This just happens to coincide with one of the worst Januarys on
record. So...... at least 25 to 33% of all condrs and trainman displaced by
the schedule change simply sit on their "bumps" until the weather clears up.
Meantime the carrier has trains to run and a pressing shortage of manpower so
every morning for a week my phone rings between 3:30 and 4:00 A.M.and the
crew caller says something like "we want you to protect 206 today instead of
240. Do you accept the call? Even in fog of earlier morning I can hear the
coins jingling and answer in the postive! By the time the cash register
stops ringing each day I've collected 150 miles times 2 plus the O.T. on each
job!
Leo
p.s. for anybody thinking geez what racket. Wonder what I'd have said if
there wasn't an incentive to upset my daily routine/schedule?