Re: [BRHSlist] SW Iowa Packing Plants

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] SW Iowa Packing Plants
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 08:56:43 -0600
Lenny,

Packing plant at Glenwood IA was called "Glenwood Packing".

There was also Missouri Beef Packers at Phelps MO. Plant is still
there but is now Iowa Beef Packers owned.

Meat cars were cleaned at Pacific Jct. Cars that had been loaded
with hanging meat were usually rather messy inside with lots of fat
and so forth on the floor. Really stank in the warmer weather.
Generally the hooks were just thrown back in the car without even
being hosed off. Some cars would come back with no hooks at all
and some others with twice as many as needed.

After the cleaning process almost all meat cars would be pre-iced
before loading. No packer would put hanging meat in a car that
had not already been cooled down. This required a close
coordination in scheduling so that only the correct number of cars
for a days projected loading would be pre-iced and moved up to
Omaha.

The PFE meat car fleet was not that large so at times MNX cars
would be loaded at Schuyler or Lexington. I do not know if BREX
or PFE would pre-ice these cars.

Russ