Technology

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Technology
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 21:00:37 EST
I've always read how the demise of the steam engine desimated the mechanical
crafts ranks.
Well from reading the BRT files I can tell you it started about 20 years
earlier with the motor cars. In the files there are formal complaints from
motor car train crews at Aurora,Streator,Rockford and Clinton. Each case
reads very similarly.The train crew objects to being required to take the
motor car to the Rdhse,in some cases putting it in the house and in other
turning it on a wye or turntable. At Rockford there's also an objection to
turning the unit and then coupling it back onto the mail car,in essence
making up the next mornings train(this file has both the motor car and mail
car #s in it!).
In each case management responds that there isnt a violation of any agreement
as at these locations there are no rdhse or carman on duty when the motor
cars arrive. The file is clear that when the trains were steam equipped the
mechanical guys were there upon arrival.The jobs had been eliminated by the
cars.
Leo