Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Chicago After Dark

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Chicago After Dark
From: "Jules Johnson" <cbqrr17@a...>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:35:57 -0700
Didn't the meat ball fall on the floor and roll out the door? WLS was THE
station for us who grew up out in the sticks(that place outside Chicago called
Illinois, western part around Galesburg, Peoria, Rock Island). I would listen
to WLS evenings waiting at the Kewanee station for the eastbound #12, and
westbound #1. They were scheduled approx. 30 minutes back then(1965-1969). When
#12 would arrive with a large box(casket) for a Kewanee funeral home, the
baggage car attendant and the station agent would struggle to jockey the box on
the old metal wheeled baggage cart until I helped with my youth strength. I
would be invited into the agents office many evenings and marvel at the Morse
code machine, the long extended arm phone, the large Burlington System map,
etc. Also I remember the station receiving a gondola with coal for the heating
system. Now this two men were trying to shovel the chunks of coal with very
little success. Even the long fingered pitch fork was of little use. They
finally lifted each coal chunk by hand and placed them on the conveyor to the
station basement. When I looked in the car that evening the load was only 1/2
gone. Shoveling coal without a flat surface was very difficult. I remember the
assigned switcher at Kewanee varied from a NW to 44 Toner to a SW-1. Then I
moved to Peoria and Texas and at the first opportunity to visit the Kewanee
yard, the switcher was gone and most of the yards track ripped up. Even the
crossovers between Boss and Rose Streets were removed.