Re: [BRHSlist] SHOVEL NOSE DIESELS

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] SHOVEL NOSE DIESELS
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@a...>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:24:26 -0500
From: "Marshall Thayer" <zephyr9903@e...>
To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 3:16 PM

> hauled by a shovel nose diesel. I see that Railway Classics are
> doing a Pegasus or Zephyrus as modernised in 1940. Would
> this be suitable? <<<
>

> 9904 and 9905 had a rather limited life-span as non-dedicated lead units -
They came off of the Twin Zephyrs around '46 (although they had often enough
been replaced or led by an E-5 in "augmented service" [extra cars] during WW
II), but were converted to boosters (no cab controls) in '51. The intention
was to use them on streamliners (as shown by the purchase of baggage/boiler
"Silver Treasure - the EAs had no train heat), so while they could be found
pooling onto heavyweights during this 5-year window, it wouldn't have been
common.

> Your best bet for hauling heavyweights behind shovelnose power is 9908
"Silver Charger". This motor has been imported at least once that I know
of. Built for the General Pershing Zephyr in 1939, it was soon outclassed
on that service & replaced in 1942 by steam. For the rest of its passenger
career (to around 1960), it was used for reasonably short trains that its
1000 hp could handle (Train 44 between St. L and Burlington was one
assignment), and wound up hauling "special shipments" to the Army Ammunition
Plant at Dayman until 1966. This was picturesque as it was usually 9908, a
US Army "guard car" for the shipment (often a modernized heavyweight combine
from the L&N) and an NE-12 caboose.

> OTOH, you could just use 9904 or 05 and claim that it was assigned to this
particular train this particular day (but make sure it's summer time or your
passengers will be chilled - and peeved).