Re: [BRHSlist] SHOVEL NOSE DIESELS

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] SHOVEL NOSE DIESELS
From: "Marshall Thayer" <zephyr9903@e...>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:16:40 -0700
>>> I want to model one of the small trains of heavyweight cars
hauled by a shovel nose diesel. I see that Railway Classics are
doing a Pegasus or Zephyrus as modernised in 1940. Would
this be suitable? <<<

9904 and 9905 had a rather limited life-span as non-dedicated lead units - They
came off of the Twin Zephyrs around '46 (although they had often enough been
replaced or led by an E-5 in "augmented service" [extra cars] during WW II),
but were converted to boosters (no cab controls) in '51. The intention was to
use them on streamliners (as shown by the purchase of baggage/boiler "Silver
Treasure - the EAs had no train heat), so while they could be found pooling
onto heavyweights during this 5-year window, it wouldn't have been common.

Your best bet for hauling heavyweights behind shovelnose power is 9908 "Silver
Charger". This motor has been imported at least once that I know of. Built for
the General Pershing Zephyr in 1939, it was soon outclassed on that service &
replaced in 1942 by steam. For the rest of its passenger career (to around
1960), it was used for reasonably short trains that its 1000 hp could handle
(Train 44 between St. L and Burlington was one assignment), and wound up
hauling "special shipments" to the Army Ammunition Plant at Dayman until 1966.
This was picturesque as it was usually 9908, a US Army "guard car" for the
shipment (often a modernized heavyweight combine from the L&N) and an NE-12
caboose.

OTOH, you could just use 9904 or 05 and claim that it was assigned to this
particular train this particular day (but make sure it's summer time or your
passengers will be chilled - and peeved).

Marshall Thayer

>>> What services did the shovel nose
locomotives/heavyweights run on and are any specific
heavyweights to be preferred? <<<