Re: [BRHSlist] Fwd: Re: [LocoNotes] Coal Derivative fuel project from th

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Fwd: Re: [LocoNotes] Coal Derivative fuel project from the 1950's
From: "Haydens" <kliner@s...>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:30:32 -0500
List, The local that I am assigned to switches a fertilizer plant near
Louisiana, Mo. on the K Line. The station is called Cosgrove and it's
location is MP 93 in the timetables. The plants are run by Dyno Nobel and
Hercules. This station appeared in the TT sometime between 1939 and 1943.
I was told by old heads that it was a government plant established to make
gasoline from coal. They told me it was guarded by armed personnel who
watched closely every move made by the train crews. Kind of like today, Ha.
The project was successful, but the cost was prohibitive. This may be a
direct link to the earlier post on coal derivative fuel. I remember seeing
an article some time ago in the Louisiana paper detailing this subject. If
anyone is interested I could try to dig up more. Hope this will help.
Archie Hayden