Re: [BRHSlist] Real time or Fast clock

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Real time or Fast clock
From: "Gregory Myers" <myers.gregory@w...>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 19:45:13 -0400
The train show experiences of the modular club that I belong to has
convinced us to try to offer both operation and running in circles. Our
modules have at least two and sometimes a third main.We use the South
(nearest the crowd) main for continuous running and the North and Third
mains for operation. DCC lets us run multiple trains at all times. We have
found the the continuous running - especially steam, colorful passenger, and
long trains attract crowds by their movement. Most of the crowd move away
after watching for awhile, but the serious observers see operations going on
and start asking questions. At least half our modules have operations
potential - grain elevators, tank farms, a brewery, etc. We utilize an
advance sign-up sheet so we can have a minimum crew avaliable at all times.
We don't utilize a fast clock at shows because there are so many variables -
especially the number of people available at any given time. The operating
session is controlled by a dispatcher communicating to the train operators
by radio. We also have 2 yardmasters to help keep the action flowing, one
for the 32' yard on the layout and one for the 24' island in the center of
the layout. With some preplanning we have found that we can be, at least,
most things to most people. We try to promote the hobby by reaching the
maximum number in whichever way appeals to them.

Greg Myers