Full width diaphrams

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Full width diaphrams
From: SilvrDome@a...
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 01:00:52 EDT
Brad,

Thanks for your information about the CZ in 1955, having lost it's full width
diaphrams. Perhaps they had just worn out, and the Burlington, Rio Grande,
and Western Pacific elected not to re-invest in new ones. I would imagine
them being difficult to manuever for carmen and switchmen.

I found some photographs of the new Vista Dome Denver Zephyr in the Chicago
yards and Chicago Union Station in the "Car Builders Cyclopedia", 20th
Edition, sporting full width diaphrams as delivered by the Budd Company. The
photographs appear to be in 1956.

Perhaps it's safe to assume that these diaphrams lasted on the DZ about as
long as the life of the diaphram. So in effect you could model trains in the
same era with and without full width diaphrams as you have pointed out (gone
from the CZ, but still in place on the DZ) for a brief period.

Thanks!

Hubert