E5's: Did Red Stripes without Grill Stripes Ever Exist?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: E5's: Did Red Stripes without Grill Stripes Ever Exist?
From: "bill_og" <haywarb@b...>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:36:08 -0000
I have seen black & white photos of the E5's in the BRHS BB on E
units and other sources that show black-striped (pre-1958 photos) E
units with the grill ornamentation (on either side of the Mars light)
removed to allow mu connections. The BB stated that the fabricated
stainless steel grill ornamentation was eventually tossed out in
favor of painted-on grill ornamentation.

Last night, I looked through color photos of E5's in books by Holck
(V 1&2), Fulcommer, Goen, Spoor (V2), and Heimburger. All red-striped
E5 photos also showed the red grills. I did see some approx. 1969-
1971 photos of E7/E8/E9's with the red horizontal window stripes with
out the red grills, but no E5's in this variation.

Question: Did any of the E5's ever have the red horizontal window
striping without the grill striping? Were the E5's all scrapped
prior to the 1969 removal of the grill stripes for ecenomy reasons?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Bill H.