Re: [BRHSlist] newby

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] newby
From: Paul/Celine Kossart <kozys@t...>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:29:23 -0500
At 01:15 AM 9/18/02, you wrote:

>> Greetings from a newcomer. <<

>> My limited layout area is still under development. I am planning to model the transition era, and yes, I picked the Q.

Wally,

Do you have any specific area or operation in mind to model? Just wondering.

...continuing...

Marshall commented:

Your earlier post said you weren't real picky:

Not that what I am going to suggest is bad at all, but in my opinion the Proto 1000 F3's (A & B units) look "good enough", at least to me and many other modelers, run just as good as the other brands, and can be had for only thirty to forty dollars - I've got mine!. Marshall and others have been sending along so much good info thusfar that this was about the only thing I hadn't seen mentioned yet that I wanted to be sure to let you know about.

Other items you may be interested in as a "good enough modeler" (as am I) which immediately come to mind are Con-Cor 85 foot passenger cars. The new Walther's passenger cars aren't all based on Burlington prototypes (AFAIK the Con-Cor's aren't either) but look a lot nicer and cost twice as much. The decision is yours. Walther's recently came out with some wood, three window cabooses lettered for the 'Q but be advised, they're not based on a Burlington prototype. Again, this may not matter to you but wanted to pass it along.

Another manufacturer of some more accurate, to my knowledge, cabooses (BTW, they're called Waycars on the Burlington), is American Model Builders, the Laser Kit people. Additionally, Stewart Models has(had) some nice three bay hoppers, as does/did MDC, AND Walther's sells a six pack of Burlington reefers. Also, check out Accurail, Intermountain, Proto, Branchline, Athearn (but not the green with yellow stripe 40 foot boxcar, Burlington didn't have this paint scheme on ANY 40 foot car as I understand it) - basically, just go to your local train store, look around, and check built and, more importantly re-paint dates to stay in your era. The above items will certainly get you started and add to the strain on your finances while increasing your modeling enjoyment. 8^)

Also, and this may have been mentioned previously, the structures in the mid-fifties were (can't remember the name here, is it Indian?) red with bronze green trim, and the bridges, water tanks and signal towers were painted mineral red, with the signals being silver with black targets. There is also some nice, prototypical ballast which has recently become available as well. List members, please correct me or fill in any gaps here for Wally (and me!).

That's all that comes to mind for now. Welcome to the group, keep us updated with your modeling, don't hesitate to ask questions, and as someone else advised - JOIN THE BRHS! They are a GREAT resource, and continue to get even better over time. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Paul Kossart - Peru, Illinois, USA
Modeling the CB&Q & fictional Illiniwek River Valley area in the 1960's.
"Serving Agriculture and Industry in the Illiniwek River Valley since 1904."