Re: [BRHSlist] newby

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] newby
From: "Marshall Thayer" <zephyr9903@e...>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 07:27:17 -0700
>> Greetings from a newcomer. <<

>> My limited layout area is still under development. I am planning to model
>> the transition era, and yes, I picked the Q.

I already have several good running diesels, and the Genesis 2-8-2 Light
Mikado. My question is basically, what equipment would have been in use in the
mid-fifties? <<

>> If anyone can help me by suggesting a small roster of locos (steam or
>> diesel) I would greatly appreciate it. <<

Welcome, Wally!

Modeling the transition years on the Q is certainly interesting . . . If you
set your date for 1955 or earlier, you retain the ability to use a variety of
steam (but just barely) while being able to field any Burlington diesel prior
to the Chinese Red and grey SD-24s (and the so-called "EA" shovelnose units of
the second Twin Cities and first Denver Zephyrs).

Your earlier post said you weren't real picky: The Athearn USRA 2-8-2 is the
"light" version; CB&Q's O-4 class was the "heavy", mostly shown by a fatter
boiler. There were 15 of them (5500-5514), all of which were re-equipped to
burn oil in the '30s, and thus assigned to "Lines West". There are rumors that
a USRA heavy mike may be in the works, so if it matters to you, you might want
to wait a bit.

Secondly and thirdly, if you like steam switchers, LifeLike P2K has two for you
- the USRA 0-8-0 released a few years ago is a near-ringer for the Q's F-1s (
540-549), and the new USRA 0-6-0 represents Q's class G-5 (500-509). There were
also 15 mechanically similar G-5As (510-524) but it would take quite a bit of
work to alter the appearance.

As for diesels, the Kato NW-2 or the old Walthers SW-1 (still findable at swap
meets) would look fine in contrast to your P2K steam in the yards. A GP-7 or
two (P2K's is really good - no dynamic brakes on the Q's version) would look
good for wayfreight (200-267 . . . GP-9s were 270-289).

Mainline freight at that time was mostly behind "greybacks" the Q's off-white
F-units. Probably the most interesting you could have would be one of the
three-unit sets made from an FTA and FTB (Stewart makes these) and an F-2 (A
Stewart F-3 ph I will do for that one). These groups were numbered 150-159 A
thru C, with the F-2 always being the A number.

For passenger, three of the early articulated shovel-nose trains were still
running in 1955: 9900 "Pioneer Zephyr", 9902 nicknamed "The Little Zephyr" but
carrying no ID on the train) and 9903 "Mark Twain Zephyr". The last shovelnose,
9908 "Silver Charger" would operate through 1966 before going to a museum. For
now, a shovel nose would be expensive- available only in brass. There are often
rumors of possible resin, which would drop the price -

Most passengers, however, are hauled behind E-units in 1955. By that year, only
6 of the E-5As and 1 E-5B are still on the property, 3 and 2 having been sold
to the C&S and FW&D. E-5s are available (to now) only in brass, but Delta
Models has announced a resin "kit" to modify the P2K E-6. P2K E-7s ( 9916A/B -
9936A/B; 9937A; 9949), E-8s (9938A/B - 9948A/B; 9949A; 9964-9977) and E-9s
(9985A/B; 9990-9995) will do the job, in almost any combination. Just remember
there were no B-units on the Q for the postwar E series. A units were simply
coupled to provide enough power, often all pointing forward "elephant parade"
style.

All of your switchers and roadswitchers will be in "Blackbird" paint with the
"Everywhere West" and "Way of the Zephyrs" slogans; Chinese red did not come
until 1959 and the SD-24s. F-units were always greybacks; no changes to worry
about there! For E-units, you'll have to stay with the black nose trim, with
the red side stripe and "arrow". E-7s with the small number boards had three
nose bars. After the change to the large boxes, all have four bars, and that is
universal for the 8s and 9s.

Wooden waycars are still mineral red with white lettering - the riveted steel
NE-10s are now orange with black lettering, and the welded, streamlined NE-12s
are silver with black, red and white! (Repainting a Bachmann end-cupola caboose
gives a pretty accurate NE-12)

Some heavyweight passenger equipment is painted aluminum with black "ribbon"
lettering, the remainder is still pullman green with imitation gold lettering.
Almost all lightweights are Budd stainless steel, with no paint except black
lettering.

I hope this will get you started thinking and planning!

Marshall Thayer