Re: [BRHSlist] newby

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] newby
From: hansons@b...
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:26:05 -0500
Quoting Wally & Barb Daffner <wbw13187@h...>:

>> My limited layout area is still under development. I am planning to
> model the transition era, and yes, I picked the Q.
>
> I already have several good running diesels, and the Genesis 2-8-2 Light
> Mikado. My question is basically, what equipment would have been in use in
> the mid-fifties?
>
> If anyone can help me by suggesting a small roster of locos (steam or
> diesel) I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Thank you all for your support.
>
> Wally D.

Wally,
Free advice sometimes being worth what you pay for it, I'll chance it.
I picked up from your mails that you are not a "rivet counter" - close is good
enough (within reason) - and that budget is a consideration.
Based on all that, in the mid-fifties; I would suggest for the steam: The
Genesis Mike was a good choice. You may want to add a Spectrum Mountain and a
Spectrum Consolidation (both of which will have be be lettered for the Q) -
fairly good detail and can be found at shows at a reasonable price. If you
really want to splurge - add a Proto Heritage 0-8-0 (tho' it may be difficult
to find one lettered Q).
Diesels for transition era: You couldn't go wrong with P2K GP7's and GP9's and
SD7's and SD-9's - all available in 1950's "blackbird" paint. P2K also ran two
numbers of SW switchers in Q; as well as E7 and E8 units in black nose
stripes. Most are not in current production - again; check stock at shows.
Got some budget left? - consider a Stewart VO-1000 - they run as good as they
look. Also, Atlas has done S2 switchers in 'blackbird'.
And you HAVE to have F-units. Stewart put out a fine set of FT's in Q paint.
F3's come as varied as your budget - from Proto 1000 to Athearn's new Genesis
line. Shop and compare.
Lastly, you may want to consider an EMC St. Louis carbody "doodlebug" by
Walthers for your shorthaul branch line.
There are many other fine models out there in Q paint - the above simply
represents the ones that caught my eye without straining my budget. The
choices available to modelers of the Q are great and getting better with each
new manufacturer's release.
I'm sure that you will receive a lot of replies with a lot of options for you
to consider.
Roger & Sylvia Hanson
Kansas City, MO