Re: Where's the Fireman, was: E-5 B Units......

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Where's the Fireman, was: E-5 B Units......
From: "liljop" <wulrich@a...>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:53:16 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@y..., "Mike Decker" <mdecker@g...> wrote:
> Hi Pete and folks:
>

> Anyway....there was one investigation that had the classic
Fireman's excuse,
> I still use it to screw with officials. One Monday morning, the
> Fisherman's Special was coming back into Denver from the Platte
Canyon.
> They were running late, and got on the outbound passenger's time.
The two
> of them met on the little trestle over Clear Creek (under the US6
overpass),
> causing damage to both locomotives. The location is on a reverse
curve, and
> apparently the Engineers didn't see each other in time to avoid a
slow speed
> collision. When testifying, the Fireman on the Extra
explained: "I was down
> on the deck attending to my fire, and when I heard the Engineer
put the
> train in Emergency, I looked out my front cab window and saw the
other train
> coming. I jumped out of the gangway into the Creek, which was
dry, and
> broke both my ankles." "I was down on the deck putting in a fire,
and I
> didn't see a thing".

in steam days "on the deck puttin' in fire" i believe was the normal
excuse. as a matter of fact on the accident report on the des moines
branch in 1927, a turnover, that is where my dad was, "on the
deck..........

Nowadays....it's like the Belle Ayr Helper Engineer
> said when they "T-boned" the loading train: "I was down in the
nose
> (toilet)." Which, of course leads one to wonder why the motor was
moving in
> the first place:>)

in the 70's, 80's and would imagine still true now, if you got hurt
anywhere doing anything think the cause was the slack when trying to
get into/out of the nose.
know, even today, when i hear that someone got hurt in the nose the
first thing i wonder is what was he really doing and where.

> Mike Decker

warren