Re: FW: Illinois Central Domes

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: FW: Illinois Central Domes
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@m...>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:10:19 -0700
During the period of time referred to when the NCL sleeper domes were used by the IC in the winter, Wayne Johnson (-ston?) was president of the IC. He had immense pride in the IC's passenger service, and one of things that he insisted upon meticulously was that all cars regularly in IC trains have matching paint liveries. This is why one could put together almost an entire train in the IC's handsome livery and have it made up totally with cars lettered for ACL, CofG, CBQ, and NP- and probably at least three more southeast railroads that I cannot nail at the moment.

Mr. Johnson was also the person who demanded each and every morning that an explanation of accountability be on his desk within the hour when the PANAMA LIMITED was not on time.

At the time (and since) I have always been amazed at the amount of expense, labor, and time that it took for these cars each year to be painted/repainted twice.

For a time, these NP/CBQ sleeper domes were assigned to Amtrak's Floridian (correct name?), the short-lived Chicago-Florida train via Louisville, Birmingham, Montgomery, and Jacksonville. Our family of four occupied one of these sleepers in this service in 1974, still painted in NP colors. It was more than a little shop worn and run down, and the dome glass was almost opaque in places. Sic transit gloria.

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA