Burlington respect

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Burlington respect
From: drale99@a...
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 12:57:41 EDT
I always had good impressions of the Burlington, but my respect for the
Burlington RR has just taken a big leap upward. I just completed reading
Overton's book "Burlington Route -- A History of the Burlington Lines". Very
heavy reading, but very insightful for anyone who wants to really learn about
the true greatness of the Burlington Railroad.
Most impressive: the great men who built it and managed it. These were men
of great vision and guts. They had to overcome more obstacles than I had
ever emagined, and they had the know-how, dedication, and tenacity to do it.
They were also men of character, including ethical and moral integrity, which
did not exist among most of the RR barons and prime movers with whom they
were competing.
Also impressive: the small beginning, the Aurora Branch, a very inconspicuous
little
piece of track.
And how about the Burlington "firsts": the first RPO; the first 2-6-2; the
motor cars; the first vista-dome; the first "slumbercoach"; the first
diesel-electric streamlined train, the Zephyr. How many more firsts?
(someone want to try to complete the list?)
Another point: I did not know how pre-eminent the Burlington was among U.S.
railroads. I always thought of it as just a nice little railroad. The fact
is, it was among the "giants".
This book sat in my bookcase for years before I finally got around to reading
it. Now I would say without hesitation, it is a "must" for any Burlington
fan.