re: Albia bridge 248 history

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: re: Albia bridge 248 history
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@h...>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 08:54:21 -0500
Bcc:
Per CB&Q records the Des Moines River bridge was built in 1880 by Dubuque Boat & Ironworks with five 140' Pratt trusses on masonry. The bridge 2 Mi E was also blt by CB&I but in 1884 as a 44' plate girder on trestles and the bridge 3 mi W (South Avery Creek) was blt by DB&I in 1885 as a 88' Pratt truss on masonry. There were a 1/2 dozen bridge buidlers used by the Q from Burlington to Chariton with Keystone, Lassig, DB&I & Central dominating. West Burlington had built 2 by the 1880's and even Aurora Shops provided one of the 1st.

Ken Martin is right - get those bridge photos. Many are at an age where replacement is the only prudent course. The engineering firm hired for BN's replacement of the historic bridge (1868) @ Burlington will have complete drwgs of the original as well as the replacement donated to the Iowa State College of Engineering where same will become a classroom resource for structures' classes. The unique replacement of such a heavily traveled bridge and the conditions placed by BN & the Fed's have drawn a great deal of national attention from engineering firms.
Gerald Edgar