Re: [BRHSlist] Downers Grove

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Downers Grove
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@p...>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:24:51 -0500
Leo,

During the early and mid 70's there was a regular move of
furniture for Ethan Allen/American Traditional Interiors that
spotted on one of the two tracks down in the "hole" by the
street. Usually came into Chicago on the Big Four so we
would get it at Congress Park. Depending on the situation
and how badly they needed the Stone Ave abitrary the Congo
would dig out these cars and spot them.

Orignally the Hines track went straight thru the lumber yard
and connected to the lead that went down into the hole.
During the 60's and 70's ties and evidence of the switch were
still there. It could be that that was the original access to the
lumber yard and the West end was built later.

I'm pretty sure the track that went East off the East lead was
called the "Water Track". Probably because that was where the
standpipe was.

Also think that the yard tracks that were left were #2, #4, & #5.
#1 would been the old Main Track #1 when it went to Eola and
ripping it out would allow some space next to the main.

Russ