Re: [BRHSlist] Galesburg Junction Names

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Galesburg Junction Names
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@p...>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 09:00:10 -0500
Comments inserted.

The VLBG
----- Original Message -----
From: <GEU30CG@a...>
To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 21 May, 2002 21:26
Subject: [BRHSlist] Galesburg Junction Names

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am trying to get my CTC panel planned out and wondered about a couple of
> names used in the Galesburg area for Junctions. . .My era is the later 60's.
> I want the names used then.
>
> 1) The split where the Savanna, (Quad Cities) line joins the Chicago Line on
> the East end of town over the Santa Fe. Did it have a name?

If it did I have never heard it. 2nd track up to MP 3.28 was/is called
"The Advance Track". Used by Northward trains by signal indication,
Southward trains by train order.

> 2) Was there a name for the split just west of the depot where the passenger
> bypass (toward Graham) and the three tracks head toward Willis Yard?
> (Academy Street maybe?) Just east of the 4th street bridge close to the old
> freight house and old Coach Yard area. I am _not_ talking about the junction
> currently called "Quincy Main."

At one time there was a train order office at MP 163 but along the yard leads
right across from the coaling tower area called "Knox Street". This would be
where freight trains going to Savanna or Montgomery would get their orders.

The East switch of the wye to Peoria was called "Chambers Street".

There were other much more unofficial names for certain places in the yard.
Used to be a little wooden sign around the 4th St bridge but I don't remember
who's name was on it.

Further South there were a couple of Carmen's/Switchmen's shanties.
One was called "Swansonville" and another was called "Ennisville". If
anyone remembers would like to pin down the locations of those and what
the area at the 4th St bridge was called.