Re: [BRHSlist] Step Off

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Step Off
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:28:20 EDT
Leo

Thanks re your elucidation on the step on-step off arrangement. I don't
recall seeing the treatise a year ago, so appreciate your doing it again.

What you said would exactly match the St. Joe arrangement. I don't know for
sure, but apparently Kansas City was the originating terminal and final
terminal for the Lincoln, Omaha, St. Joe KC trains...20-21, 26-27, 22-23,
41-42,43-44. The arrangement would have worked the same way. Crews would
step on at St. Joe and work to KC and then have a quick turn back rather than
deadheading from St. Joe to KC then working back, and working to KC and
deadheading back to St. Joe the crew's home terminal.

I always understood that this was an "official" arrangement, but apparently
it wasn't, but as you say...it was winked at as long as "nothing happened".

It kind of validates my oft expressed opinion that railroaders of yesteryear
were pretty much "self supervised" and not micromanaged as seems to be the
case today.

Pete