Re: [BRHSlist] 42'10" Fishbelly Flat Cars

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] 42'10" Fishbelly Flat Cars
From: Michael Dawson <mdawson9717@r...>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 19:53:35 -0700
on 4/5/02 8:19 AM, Ken Martin at kmartin@c... wrote:

> Dan Almosnino wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Ken, this is invaluable information!
>>
>> Is it likely that some made it
>> into the 50's as MOW cars? (See Mike Spoor's book "CB&Q Color Guide to
>> Freight and Passenger Equipment"(page 119) showing a CB&Q MOW fish belly
>> flat (RN 214156) that looks exactly like the Red Caboose cars).
>
> Very possible but I have no info on M/W conversions.
>

>> Also, where can I find the details you came up with?
>>

> The basic information came from 1930 folio book and the 1940 & 1945
> quantities came from the official equiipment registers.
>
> Ken Martin

Last summer, at the Great Scale Model Train Show in Timonium MD, I obtained
a B&W photo from Bob's Photo (37 Spring St., Ansonia CT 06401, (203)
734-6666) which may answer some of the questions on 42' fishbelly flat cars.

The photo is of a fishbelly flat numbered CB&Q 91243. Faded lettering
indicates a length of 45', with a 100,000 lb. capacity. The car is running
on Andrews trucks, carrying two smallish, single-axle trailers which appear
to be military equipment of some kind, perhaps mobile generators. The main
part of each trailer is under a tarp, with a box of extra equipment strapped
to the vehicle.

CB&Q 91243 appears to be identical to CB&Q 214156 depicted in company
service on p. 119 of the Mike Spoor Color Guide. I think that you can just
make out a length of 45' on the fifth space from the right hand side in the
Color Guide photo.

The best part of this is the re-packing date on CB&Q 91243, on a fresh patch
of black paint: 4 - 5 - 56, at ATSF KC. Another date painted just below
this patch on the side (perhaps a re-weigh) is "C -or G- 8 - 57".

The Red Caboose N-scale flat seems to be reasonably close - I sure hope so
since in my excitement I bought a two-pack!

There we have it: definitive proof of a 42/45' fishbelly flat in revenue
service in 1957. Bob's Photo reference is FCB&Q56.

Michael Dawson