Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Lyons Belt Rwy. and Riverside.

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Lyons Belt Rwy. and Riverside.
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@i...>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 23:10:44 -0600
All,

When I left the Chicago area in 1979 that trackage extended almost
all the way to the abandoned quarry. AT&SF would usually have it
stuffed full of tank cars. Sort of strange because this meant they had
to maintain a 4 lane grade crossing at 47th Street just for a place to
park cars.

Have an old map of Lyons Township that shows trackage around both
sides of the quarry and can vaguely recall ties along Ogden Ave.
between the fence and the hole. Before the Congress Street
Expressway was built that was the best route to drive downtown or
at least as far as Kostner Ave. where the first construction phase
ended.

At one time that quarry was called Riverside Lime and they had a
Plymouth gas-mechanical. Material Service probably replaced it
with the 0-6-0T.

Russ