Modern operations

To: "BRHS" <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Modern operations
From: "Bob Weber" <eng95@a...>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 17:03:17 -0800
Since it's been 45 years since I railroaded, I'd like a little update on
current operations. In the early 50's a train crew consisted of 5 men;
engineer, brakeman and fireman in the engine and a brakeman and conductor in
the waycar. Operations in single track areas included manual blocking via
telephone or telegraph. Communications between the dispatcher and the traincrew
was via handwritten train orders hand delivered to the crew with a Y fork. Then
came CTC, radios and the elimiation of the waycar, conductor, fireman and 1
brakeman so that a train now consists of engine, crew of two and an end of
train device, right?

Regards,
Bob