Re: [BRHSlist] East End News

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] East End News
From: "Ed Pavlovic" <twin_zephyr_21@h...>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 22:45:19 -0600
Bcc:
Metra says "Significant infrastructure improvements would be required..." but I thought that the line was already 2 MT CTC territory that already hosts passenger trains up to 79 mph, what "improvements" would they REALLY need other than improvements related to station and layover facilities? Did I miss something or am I just trying to use too much common sense? Maybe additional passenger equipment, but then Metra probably thinks the only way that they would sell the project to the BNSF would be to put in a third main track to increase the capacity (read as more "storage" for trains that aren't moving) of the existing track.

Ed Pavlovic

amtrak347@a... wrote:

In the March issue of Metra's commuter newsletter "On The (Bi)Level" someone asked Metra about extending service to Yorkville, Plano and Sandwich. Their
response was:
"It's too early to say. Significant infrastructure improvements would be required, including track, signal, bridge, and grade crossing upgrades. The
estimated cost could range from $100 million to $300 million. That's just
for physical improvements. Another issue is how the operating costs would be
covered, as Kendall County is outside the RTA territory. Also, communities
would be asked to contribute mightily to station and parking lot construction
costs."