Re: [BRHSlist] East End News

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] East End News
From: amtrak347@a...
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 02:52:35 EST
In a message dated 3/19/02 11:29:02 PM Central Standard Time,
hold-on@s... writes:

> They want to put in an over nite track at Somonauk. Told them they had not
> brains if they did not go to Earlville and use the old east and west pass

What's wrong with the old "eastward pass" (though truncated) at Somonauk?

The old "east pass" at Earlville was "Frisco-ized" years ago; the "westward
pass" was stubbed to hold about 10 cars (opens from the east end only) about
the same time the Frisco eliminated the Rock Falls/Sterling branch.

In the March issue of Metra's commuter newsletter "On The (Bi)Level" someone
asked Metra about extending service to Yorkville, Plano and Sandwich. Their
response was:
"It's too early to say. Significant infrastructure improvements would be
required, including track, signal, bridge, and grade crossing upgrades. The
estimated cost could range from $100 million to $300 million. That's just
for physical improvements. Another issue is how the operating costs would be
covered, as Kendall County is outside the RTA territory. Also, communities
would be asked to contribute mightily to station and parking lot construction
costs."

I'm sure BNSF will do everything in their power to stifle any expansion of
commuter service west of Aurora. "Just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Bob