Re: SP Tunnel motor

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: SP Tunnel motor
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@m...>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:38:38 -0800
Hubert writes-

Making our last station stop tonight, I saw a Southern Pacific Tunnel Motor
sitting inside the confines of the Sacramento Railroad Museum. Without
verification, it looks like a recent donation to the Cal RR Museum, and an
important piece of RR equipment for the last era of railroading.

Friends, as the chairman of the responsible California State Railroad Museum committee, I can substantiate that the museum has indeed received from the Union Pacific, by gift, the "tunnel motor" Southern Pacific locomotive SD45T-2 No. 6819, originally built in 1972 as no. 9193. At least initially, it seems to be in extremely good condition. It certainly does represent a significant addition to the country's stable of important preserved diesel electrics.

An Amtrak FP40 (?, I am not a "diesel person") is also on its way, its purchase OK'd just yesterday.

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA