MARS lights on the Q

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: MARS lights on the Q
From: "torsiek" <torisek@c...>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 06:06:46 -0000
Can anyone explain to me how the MARS lights were used on
the Q during the mid-sixties? All the geeps were equipped with
dual lensed units. I assume the red lensed unit only worked in
conjunction with the emergency brake. Was the clear lensed unit
constantly on while running? Was it only turned on approaching
grade crossings? Were they ever turned on during the day? Was
the operating policy different for passenger and freight
operations?

I grew up in Berwyn, IL near the triple-track and I cannot honestly
remember ever seeing one of these things on. Maybe they were
only used in less populated areas?

I hope someone can shed some light on this for me (sorry...I
really tried to resist). Thanks.

Tim Orisek
Woodridge, IL