Re: [BRHSlist] Sanborn map link working?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Sanborn map link working?
From: Bill Hirt <whirt@a...>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 18:29:39 -0600
Randy Gordon-Gilmore wrote:

> At 12:05 PM 3/2/02 -0800, Bob wrote:
>
> >site. Anyone else had this problem? Any solutions?
>
> I think that "aalto" way overused his/her access and was banned from the
> site. :-(

It was on borrowed time anyway. The University of Buffalo which had the
demo account (which was posted to LDSIG list from the Erie Lackawanna
list) had the access ending January 31. So any day after that was a
bonus day. I suspect that the system admin on the Sanborn site updates
the demo password list once a month and had missed removing the U of B's
demo account from the month before. They didn't miss this time. It
certainly was great while it lasted and provides an interesting insight
into many towns.

Some library systems have subscriptions to the Sanborn service and give
their local card holders access to the maps even at home. I have seen
several in Illinois mentioned that offer this service. The drawback is
that your access is often limited to that state (library in Illinois
only has access to maps for Illinois).

Someday this whole set is supposed to be made available through the
Library of Congress' web site. It's been referenced on their for the
past two years, but I've not seen any progress in seeing the maps
available. I suspect the L of C is digitizing their own collection
rather than using the current Sanborn collection. The reason for this
could be to actually scan the color charts which are not available on
the Sanborn site.

Bill