RE: [BRHSlist] Katy and other 2-8-0s

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>, <mkt@yahoogroups.com>, <n_scale@yahoogroups.com>, <SANTAFE@c...>, <ritslist@s...>, <CRIP-RR@yahoogroups.com>, <drgw@yahoogroups.com>, <frisco@n...>, <Frisco@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Katy and other 2-8-0s
From: "Charlie Vlk" <charlie@k...>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:07:28 -0600
I don't know about the other prototypes you mention, but the CB&Q D4a and
D4b Consolidations were quite different than the Bachmann loco. I don't
remember which had what at this point, but one of the two classes was built
with square counterweight drivers. Both were earlier than the Bachmann
machine. The cabs were quite different and I think they were overall much
smaller. As it is, the Bachmanns have drivers the same size as the USRA
Mikes (on the largesh size for 2-8-0s) and the cab and boiler are comparable
to the USRA as well. The Bachmann machine might be a stand-in for the C&S
AT&SF design consols, but even they are smaller than the Bachmann engine.
Many Consols fall into a size in between the MDC/Roundhouse 1890 (52"
drivers, square counterweights) era loco and the Bachmann 1910-20 modern
engine... so maybe their is room for another 2-8-0 in the future???
Charlie