Katy and other 2-8-0s

To: mkt@yahoogroups.com, n_scale@yahoogroups.com, SANTAFE@c..., BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, ritslist@s..., CRIP-RR@yahoogroups.com, drgw@yahoogroups.com, frisco@n..., Frisco@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Katy and other 2-8-0s
From: okt@j...
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 22:09:58 -0600
I had been dreading the idea of making the new Bachman N Consolodation
match the Katy (and ATSF, RI, DRGW, CB&Q and Frisco) prototype. The bell
is behind the sand dome in all the photos I'd seen, so I was thrilled
today to find two photos showing the same configuration as the model,bell
in front. Katy Power has shots of the 664 and 622 (with tender booster),
Katy Southwest has both sides and Stagners steam finale has a photo of
the 666.
Now, all I need to do is put the dog house and oil bunker on and adjust
some details. The walkway over the compressor is even the same.
I've got some more photo study to do to find more differences but they
are very close now.
Other changes for sure:
The headlight on the Katy is a little bigger;
the pilot is solid w/ a slot vs boiler tube on the model;
the left walk way is steped at the cylinder on 664 & 666, but not on the
ones with the bell in the center, the right side varies from engine to
engine as to walkways;
minor railing differences;
coil tubing on the left side;
there is some sort of box on the pilot deck in the photos;
and there is an angled box on both sides of the sand dome.

This engine looks like it will work for C&S, Frisco, ATSF (KM&O), RI and
DRGW engines. I figure Bachman will save me the trouble of the ATSF and
RI decal jobs, probably have to scratchbuild those darn number boards.
I will try to keep the lists appraised of my progress as I get around to
detailing these various engines.
They look like lots of fun w/o having to get into casting and scratch
building major assemblies.
I would love suggestions from anyone else doing these conversions.

Terry
At some point I want to try do something with the 0-6-0, a CB&Q 05/05A,
GN R1/2, and DRGW 2-8-8-2s
]
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.