RE: Names, flames and Not Round Houses

To: <dave_lotz@m...>, <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: Names, flames and Not Round Houses
From: "Charlie Vlk" <charlie@k...>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:10:34 -0600
Dave and list-
The trouble with this damn email is that everything is out front and subject
to interpretation the way it hits you as you read it (both sending and
receiving)......nothing except the heavy <ggggg> IMHO etc. to modify.
Pointed Sarcasm comes off as anger or as a Flame.....
If it had been a normal civilian I wouldn't have even commented on such an
open ended question........but when I saw his stated academic credentials I
had to assume that it was a guy too lazy to do any research before asking
somebody else to do it (since he didn't mention any work on his part).
Turns out that it was an academic who didn't bother to ask good research
questions.
Why pester anybody to take the time to ask a question for which you already
have answers? If he has done some research, courtesy would dictate that he
would say, "this is what I think I know and this is where I have looked
already, the reason I am asking is, and I am going to use the research for
such and such". Why anybody take the time to help somebody out by taking
fifteen or twenty minutes of their time to look-up of the history of the
Lyons/Riverside/ Grossdale-East/West/ Brookfield / Hollywood/ Congress Park
station names or any town in the state of just to have this guy come back
and tell the list he already has that information and how flawed and
unreliable those sources are by his research standards?
Flame me if you will for illuminating this issue, but if the request had
been framed better and with some specificity it may have started a useful
correspondence.
On another subject (an innocent question not deserving my wrath <GGGGGG>),
MOST roundhouses have segmented back walls. Not to say there were not
exceptions, but at least later (1880-????) examples with larger industrial
style back windows had segmented flat walls. Why? Lintels to span the
window opening were standard steel structural shapes which are straight.
Earlier houses could have curved masonry walls because a masonry arch over a
narrow window can be curved with the back radius of the house.
Charlie Vlk