RE: [BRHSlist] Names on C B & Q

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Names on C B & Q
From: jonathanharris@e...
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:17:02 -0900
Mr. Callary --

I appreciate your cautionary comments on historiography. They are a good
reminder of how easily casual explanations can become "The Truth" over
time.

Since presumably most of the place names that interest you were given by
the company to points along their lines during the 19th and early 20th
centuries, I'd think there might be something in the huge collection of
papers the CB&Q donated to the Newberry Library. But I'd also guess you've
looked into that already.

The only other suggestion I'd have is for you to share with us the specific
names that interest you. This list includes many former CB&Q employees,
some of whom are great repositories of historical information, as well as
many others who live or lived in various communities along the railroad. I
suspect many of those who would say they knew nothing about "general
sources of information" might have their memories jogged by a specific
place name ("Oh, that was the superintendent's name," or "That was near
where I grew up; there's an old-timer named XXXXX who knows all about that
region").

If it's a very long list of names, maybe it could be up-loaded the files
section.

Good luck with your research,
Jonathan Harris