RE: [BRHSlist] FW: C.B.& Q. Mooseheart,IL train

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] FW: C.B.& Q. Mooseheart,IL train
From: "David E. Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@m...>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 08:06:38 -0600
Thanks Tom!

-----Original Message-----
From: twhitt [mailto:twhitt@p...]
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 6:19 AM
To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com

The line in question is known as the NIFA branch line. NIFA stands for
Northern Illinois Fair Association and was named as it served the area which
would come to be known as Aurora Downs. In early years this was a large
amusement type park and drew upon thousands of patrons from the Chicago
area.
Your question of passenger trains was related to graduation ceromonies at
Mooseheart which is located between North Aurora and Batavia. Moose lodges,
from destinations unknown, chartered trains to attend the graduation
ceremonies.
I grew up less than a half a block from the branch in North Aurora and
remember hearing the different horn of the train and run down to the tracks
to the Zephyrs slowly moving their way up and back to Mooseheart. Remember,
there is no where to turn a train at Mooseheart, so what drove up had to
back out!
Line terminated near Geneva where it interchanged with the CNW. The line
saw alot of raw material such as coal for the power plant at Mooseheart.
Hope this helps.

Tom Whitt