Re: [BRHSlist] 1940 Texas Zephyr Pullmans

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] 1940 Texas Zephyr Pullmans
From: rgortowski@a...
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 18:34:16 EST
In a message dated 1/13/02 4:49:25 PM Central Standard Time,
Dave_Lotz@m... writes:

> Since I'm relatively new to Pullmans on the Q & subs...were there other 10-1
> and 12-1 Pullmans similarly modified for service on the parent road's
> trains? and if so which trains and where?

Dave,

Per the Pullman Passenger Car Catalog, the Q had the following modernized by
Pullman for Q use:

Clan McGregor and Villa Anita - plan 3411A for Minneapolis - St. Louis
service. The modifications were only silver paint and black Zephyr-style
lettering.

Denver Tower and Mission Tower - plan 4090E for GPZ service. The
modifications were turtle roof, skirting, tight-lock couplers. No mention of
paint.

Of course, the most famous were Zephyr Tower and Rocket Tower - plan 4090C
for Minneapolis - St. Louis service. The modifications were turtle roof,
skirting, silver-grey paint with black Zephyr-style lettering, and tight-lock
couplers.

You also missed Castle Range and Castle Crest for the FW&D and C&S.

These were the original assignments. They were modified in 1940/41. so they
had ample opportunity to use them in different service.

In 1952/53 the Q painted several of their own heavyweights (they bought them
from Pullman in 1948) in silver-grey and applied the SSS paint scheme. They
used these for DZ protection. I have pictures of these.

Rich