5632

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: 5632
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@i...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 20:04:13 +1300
Some time back, there was a question as to the fate of #5632 of gold-painted
railfan specials fame.

I found this snippet in the May 1979 edition of Railfan & Railroad I picked up
at a book shop this week:
"In late December 1978 a Circuit Court jury in Chicago awarded railfan Dick
Jenson a $1.7 million judgement against the Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad
for allegedly illegally disposing of his CB&Q 4-8-4 5632 and 2-8-2 4963 and two
boxcar loads of locomotive oparts which had been stored in the C&WI's 47th
Street roundhouse. In the suit filed in 1973, Jenson asked for $707,308 for his
equipment and $1 million in punative damages for breach of contract and illegal
conversion of property. Jenson reportedly displayed over three tons of
locomotive parts in the courtroom to convince the jury of the value of the
scrapped "junk". He won his case, but the C&WI is filing an appeal."

Does anyone know any more of the background to this case?

Rupert