Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Basic reading

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Basic reading
From: drale99@a...
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 15:05:13 EST
Telegraphy was on the wane by the end of the 40s. I remember going to my
Dad's old station in Ravenna (I believe in the late 40s) and being shocked to
see that teletype had taken over the telegraph office. By then my Dad was on
the branch line (Aurora NE-Sargent/Burwell). Earlier I had learned to
telegraph (I was being trained by me dad while in hi school to be an
operator's helper. That was how I was to pay for my education. The Navy
interferred). Telegraph remained on the branch lines, but wasn't used much
because it wasn't needed as there was so little traffic, like one train each
way per day. While it was still being used, agents kept each other informed
about what was going on, including where trains were. They chattered a lot
about things in general, and trains coming and leaving was part of the
chatter.
In the early 60s, I lived in Fargo, and got acquainted with a GN agent on a
branch. When I visited his depot, his telegraph was still live, but not
being used. He didn't know how to use the telegraph. I showed him how. (He
was impressed.)
On the St.Louis-Billings line, my Dad was 2nd. trick yardmaster and operator.
He had two keys, a bug, and a dispatcher's phone. This was in the 30s and
early 40s. He often handled one or more telegraph messages and the
dispatcher's phone all at once. (Don't ask me how he did it).. Those old
telegraphers were good. A good Ry. telegrapher could send or receive 60 to
100 words/minute. Of course they abbreviated a lot, so there weren't any
long words and there were many short symbols. Merey Christmas!
DRale Reeves