Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Basic reading

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Basic reading
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:26:19 EST
IF memory serves the telegraph was used on the Q until about 1972. Rock
Island ended the telegraph in 1965.

On the Q most branch lines continued to be dispatched by telegraph right up
until the end of the key and sounder era.

Most all stations continued to have a key and sounder, but after the 1950's
and the retirement of many of the old time telegraphers it became used less
and less.

I recall from my braking days a standing joke on the Lincoln Division that
the only Morse one agent-operator knew was FN (phone).

Pete Hedgpeth