Re: [BRHSlist] Q Lounging Cars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Q Lounging Cars
From: SilvrDome@a...
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:00:13 EST
Bill,

I would have enjoyed riding a Burlington heavyweight soda fountain car. I
even missed the Vista Dome Denver Zephyr Chuck Wagon cars in Burlington
service. (That was sort of a soda fountain idea wasn't it?)

At Amtrak, the Amfleet Cafe cars were equipped to dispense soda fountain
drinks (i.e. cola, etc.) when they were dilivered by Budd in the
mid-seventies. The cups were considered revenue items, and you simply
calculated the amount of soda sold by the number of cups dispensed. This
turned out to be more trouble than it was worth considering theft, etc. When
I worked in St. Louis in the old GM&O commissary building, I heard all the
difficulties crews were having while delivering supplies to the Chicago
trains.

Unless you had sufficient carbonation and proper syrup you would experience
problems serving your passengers. The commissary might be too far to get the
proper syrups and gases. Alas, it was back to the miracle of the canned soda.

I trust it worked better on the Burlington.

Hubert