Re: O5 4-8-4s

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: O5 4-8-4s
From: fdlnmn@s...
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 18:59:38 -0000
The main differences between the Baldwin (early) 4-8-4s are in the
feedwater heaters and the drivers (although the cabs can help in your
identification)
The early locomotives had a distinctive cylendrical shaped elesco
feedwater heater mounted on top of the smokebox. On the later models
most of the extra plumbing was behind a shield on the pilot.
Also, the early O5s had spoked drivers, not box pox. At least it
was that way until they were slowly refitted with box pox main
drivers to reduce pounding on the rails.
Just remember 5600-5607 Are O5. After that use the tender to pick
between O5A and O5B