Re: [BRHSlist] FW: Accurail Autoracks

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] FW: Accurail Autoracks
From: Aeolus3@a...
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 15:32:09 EST
In a message dated 11/23/01 9:09:29 AM Central Standard Time,
svmyers@s... writes:

> I am particularly concerned about clearing my
> tunnel portals. Perhaps they require no more clearance or a larger
> radius than full length passenger cars.

Scott and List,

I have built a few of the Accurail Autoracks.... they run well. If you are
running full size passenger cars along with Vista Domes..... You shouldn't
have any problems with the autoracks. They are heavy enough although I would
suggest using after market wheelsets and kaydee #5's or the new #58's.

When building either the bi or tri levels I have found a way that I think is
the easiest. First I build the flat car, use super glue for the weight, and I
use screws for the trucks. For the rack, I start on one side, I super glue
the corner stantions after glueing on the detail parts, then I super glue 2
of the middle stantions each about a 1/4 of the way from the ends. Repeat
that with the other side. If you are building the tri I start with the top
deck first then glue the middle deck the same way. I then put the rack away
to dry and harden up. I usually let it sit for 24 hours. Now you have the
racks solid with 8 stantions glued on..... I then glue the racks onto the
flat car. I let that dry for 24 hours, then I come back and finish glueing
the stantions on the racks. Then you glue the rest of the detail parts with
the brake rigging last.

I think the worst part of building the autoracks is glueing the racks onto
the flat car....

As for being a Burlington Prototype...... The accurail car is a bit different
from the photo's in Mike Spoor's Equipment Book..... although they do look
very nice when finished. Now I also run mine back to Detroit EMPTY! Walther's
makes a really nice 1967 Mustang Fastback and I have seen the "racks" loaded
up.... However 15 Mustangs will cost about $150.00 per rack! Which is why I
will be running them empty.

Hope this helps
Loren