Re: [BRHSlist] Re: K-2 Loco

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: K-2 Loco
From: jonathanharris@e...
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 11:15:47 -0900
Other potential bash-ees I've wondered about are the Model Power ten
wheelers (and consolidations) -- if for no other reason than their spoked
pilot wheels and pedistal tender trucks. Does anybody, ANYBODY import
pedistal tender trucks in brass/plastic/wood/chocolate...ANYTHING??

Seriously, though, I agree with Bob and Ezekiel. By the time you put all
the bucks into detailing a kitbash, it'll run you close to the price of the
brass -- to say nothing of the value of your time.

The NPP K2 is a nice little model. At some point you might want to re-motor
it and/or put in new gears. Mine, which is unmodified, runs noisily but
smoothly and is capable of decent slow-speed operation.

AND, since NPP brought it out in quantity (I think the Brown Book said 1000
units were imported), and since it's a smaller, older model (1974), it
tends to be cheap and readily available. K2s pop up in hobbyshops all the
time -- Mitchell's, Caboose Hobbies (Denver) and The Caboose (Connecticut),
Uncle Dave's, Northern Scale, Gunnings, et al. Prices over the past few
years have ranged from around $250 to $400. Where you gonna find a piece of
jen-you-wine brass for that kinda money these days?

If you're really itching to bash something, why not choose a different
class of 4-6-0? Some of the Q's other ten-wheelers had wagon-top boilers
like the Mantua model. Or try to replicate one of the K4s or K10s, which
were so common at the end of the steam era.

But if it's 637 you really want, why knock yourself out? The NPP model is a
bargain. Just be patient and keep your eye open for the best price.

Good luck,
Jonathan