Re: [BRHSlist] Re: K-2 Loco

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: K-2 Loco
From: Bob Yarger <bobyar2001@y...>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 09:37:17 -0800 (PST)
I'm not sure how the Nickel Plate K2s run, but
personally, I'd rather earn some extra money and buy
one rather than try to build one. Unless you're a
real master, whatever you might cobble up on your own
will likely look much worse and cost just as much as
the brass model. Parts from Mantua, Bowser, etc., are
pretty crude by today's standards, so whatever you
build with them looks crude also.

--- fdlnmn@s... wrote:
> Ken,
> I try not to discourage fellow modelers, but a
> K-2 is a pretty
> tall order. If you don't want to go with a brass
> model your more or
> less stuck with kitbashing and scratchbuilding.
>
> Mantua has a 4-6-0 with appropriate running
> gear, but the boiler
> will require lots of cut and fill work. You'd have
> to drop $170 if
> you found one of these and you would end up with
> inapropriate domes,
> cab, and tender.
> MDC has a 10 wheeler, but the boiler needs
> extensive
> modification. You might as well scrap that and
> build your own
> boiler. The tender holds some promise for
> modification. $85 at
> Walthers.
> The "Casey Jones" frame from Bowser looks pretty
> good, but you
> will need to find your own slide valve cylinder set.
> You can order
> the exact drivers, side rods, etc. that you want.
> You will still
> have to scratchbuild the boiler and tender.
> If you're good with sheet metal and solder, get
> some schematics
> and go for it. The boiler has no sloping courses so
> you can probably
> find an appropriate tubing size.
>
> Good luck! (and watch out for rivet counters)
>
> -Ezekiel
>
> --- In BRHSlist@y..., currieken@c... wrote:
> > I'm looking for an HO-scale version of
> Burlington's Class K-2 4-6-0
> > (looking to model #637. I note Mitchell's has a
> couple of brass
> > models for sale, but I'd like to explore different
> options with
> other
> > members of the society.
> >
> > Ken Currie
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

=====
Bob Yarger
Railway Preservation News (free website)
www.rypn.org