Re: K-2 Loco

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: K-2 Loco
From: fdlnmn@s...
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 17:08:56 -0000
Ken,
I try not to discourage fellow modelers, but a K-2 is a pretty
tall order. If you don't want to go with a brass model your more or
less stuck with kitbashing and scratchbuilding.

Mantua has a 4-6-0 with appropriate running gear, but the boiler
will require lots of cut and fill work. You'd have to drop $170 if
you found one of these and you would end up with inapropriate domes,
cab, and tender.
MDC has a 10 wheeler, but the boiler needs extensive
modification. You might as well scrap that and build your own
boiler. The tender holds some promise for modification. $85 at
Walthers.
The "Casey Jones" frame from Bowser looks pretty good, but you
will need to find your own slide valve cylinder set. You can order
the exact drivers, side rods, etc. that you want. You will still
have to scratchbuild the boiler and tender.
If you're good with sheet metal and solder, get some schematics
and go for it. The boiler has no sloping courses so you can probably
find an appropriate tubing size.

Good luck! (and watch out for rivet counters)

-Ezekiel