FW: Information on Stoddard, NE depot

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: FW: Information on Stoddard, NE depot
From: "David E. Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@m...>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:35:13 -0500
Cc: <sd60551@a...>
I'm forwarding this on to the BRHSlist to see what folks there know.

Here's what we have in the archives from the Corporate History of the CB&Q:
This line was a branch line of the Nebraska and Colorado Railroad Company
that was Incorporated July 24, 1883. The branch originated at Strang
Junction (just east of Strang, NE) and then proceeded southerly 29.76 miles
to a connection with the Republican Valley Railroad at Chester, NE. It
passed through Bruning, Belvidere, Hebron, Stoddard on its way to Chester.

Construction commenced in Chester in August 1883 and the line was completed
to Hebron, 12.05 miles, January 3, 1884, and to Strang Junction, 17.71
miles, December 6, 1886.

The line was constructed by one of the many "paper" railroads created by the
CB&Q for construction purposes and never had any equipment of it's own. The
line was operated by the CB&Q from the start under a lease until February
15,1908 when title was transferred to the CB&Q. (therefore it never was a
part of the B&MRR, only connected with it in Chester.)

Listers...be sure to get Steven's address on your replies!

Dave