Re: [BRHSlist] Galena

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Galena
From: "Tamerlane" <TheVLBG@s...>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 21:12:51 -0500
Roger,

At the time the line was built up the East side of the river Galena was the main
commercial city in that part of Illinois. In the days of Less-Than-Carload-Lot
freight traffic it was worthwhile to build a short branch to reach a population
center. What moves via UPS and Parcel Post once was Railroad business.

Doubt they would have been any interchange at Galena. The C&I had a
traffic agreement with the IC at Forreston. When the CB&N built along the
East bank of the river there was no incentive for them to interchange any
traffic West of the agreed to point.

I think part of the whole deal where the CB&N gave the IC their trackage
and right of way between Portage and East Dubuque was the closing of
the Forreston gateway and a new traffic agreement at East Dubuque.
This would have still left Galena out in the cold. When the LCL and
Railway Express business moved to trucks in the 50's the reason for the
branch was gone and it was abandoned.

Just my opinion.

The VLBG