Scheduled RR

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Scheduled RR
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:55:21 EDT
I read Progressive Railroading and Railway Age each month and for some years
now the "Scheduled Railroad" is all the rage. The feature articles tend to
focus on where our old freind E Hunter Harrison is employeed and how he has
scheduled the road to operating ratios heretofore unheard of. After reading
several of these disertations that really lack much in the way of detail(in
my opinion); I am somewhat confused as to how the scheduled rr of today is
different from how the Q and other roads operated?
If you look at The Burlington Lines Data Sheets as published by the BRHS each
road train had cutoffs,schedules and blocks of cars. If the transfer or
wayfreight didn't make the cutoff the car didn't go on that thru frt. Can
anyone explain what is different today?
Yes we made exceptions for late cars to ensure they made their connections
and it still goes on today which you can verify in the fine article this
month in Trains on the UP/CSXT effort to win back some of the produce
business. We used to make the same hurry up drop every thing else moves to
get the hot car to General Mills,Cat,etc,etc. Whats so changed today?
Leo